If this is your first visit or you haven't done so already, please subscribe to my RSS feed to get regular updates.

Friday, July 25, 2008

12seconds.tv -- introducing video-Twitter

I was invited to the private Alpha release of 12seconds.tv, and after about a month of playing around with it, I wanted to post some initial thoughts.

First, the background.  12seconds.tv says that it "allows friends and family to record and share short video updates about what they are doing or where they are. You can use a webcam or a cell phone."  So it's basically Twitter, but instead of typing you record video updates with a maximum length of (you guessed it) 12 seconds.  Why only 12 seconds?  Well, in their own words, "Because anything longer is boring."  It's an interesting idea, the site is very clean and they are adding great features almost every day, but the question I had on the first day still sits in my mind: "Will anyone use this once the novelty wears off?"  But I get ahead of myself.  Let's start with some thoughts on the site.

 

As easy as it gets -- if you're into video

Recording your 12seconds updates is extremely easy if you use a webcam.  As soon as you sign in to the site, it starts your webcam, and you're ready to go.  They made it really easy to record, name and publish your updates to your "channel".  Similar to Twitter, you can follow friends and be followed by others, so updates are shared in that way as well. 

It's also easy to embed updates in a blog -- here, for example, is my first update.  Mundane, I know, but I was just trying it out, ok?


Duma caught red-handed on 12seconds.tv

That was recorded with my cell phone.  You send cell phone updates to the site via email.  You get a unique email address that's linked to your account, so when you send it, it appears on your channel automatically.  Again, really easy.

The developers clearly spent a lot of time thinking through all they ways they can remove any obstacle that might make it difficult and laborious for people to record their updates.  The end result is a no-frills user experience that's laser-focused on the site's single user goal: recording and posting video updates.  It's a great example of what happens when designers focus on making core functionality work well, without spending unnecessary time and resources on side-features that aren't important.

 

Very cool, but who will use it?

So now that I've sung the praises of the site design and the innovative idea, the question still remains, who is going to use this?  Here are a few challenges I see for 12seconds:

  • As easy as it is to record and post updates, it is still, by its nature and no fault of the designers, a non-traditional process even by Web 2.0 standards.  Most people update Twitter when they have a spare moment -- standing in line at Starbucks, waiting for your wife to finish getting ready (lots of time there...), between meetings, etc.  It's not as easy to whip out your camera phone and record an update while other people are around. 
  • It's also sometimes a game of trial and error to get your thoughts down to 12 seconds!  I've had to record multiple updates because I had to find a way to remove some words.
  • Mostly, I'm worried about the laziness factor that I've written about before.  Will this just be fun for a while and then people will stop recording updates?  Of course, it could reach a tipping point and end up leaving Twitter in the dust, but it's not a sure thing at this point.

Let me end by saying that I really hope 12seconds.tv succeeds.  I have a lot of respect for the focused user experience, the clean design, and the innovative twist on keeping up with what your friends are doing.  I'm just hoping there are enough people out there who feel that sometimes, typing just isn't enough...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is really a good idea. We have thought exactly the same a year ago, we created spOtmob. It is online, check it and try it!

http://www.spotmob.com
...and your life?