If this is your first visit or you haven't done so already, please subscribe to my RSS feed to get regular updates.

Friday, September 12, 2008

Review: Garmin Forerunner 405

Ok, so this post isn't strictly about user experience or social media - but you'll let me bring my personal life into it every once in a while, right?

I have been waiting a while for a GPS sports watch that I can wear as an everyday watch as well, which is why I decided to take the plunge and get the Garmin Forerunner 405.  There are always early-adopter issues with new technology, but I have to say that, despite some kinks, this is a fantastic watch, and I highly recommend it to any runner (or biker) who is serious about their training.  Below are my thoughts on why I love it, what I don't like, and some of the rumors out there that you shouldn't believe!  By the way - I got it without the optional heart rate monitor (you can get it with the HRM here), because at the moment distance and pace information is what is most important to me.

 

The good

  • Accurate GPS distance and pace tracking, much better than any foot pod product I've used (like Nike Plus)
  • Endless customization possibilities to show the training information you want to see during workouts
  • A virtual partner "running" at a set pace, to keep you on track
  • Extremely easy to use once you figure out the touch bezel (outside gray part) menu system.
  • Also easy to use during workouts - simple taps on the bezel changes your views to show different information.
  • Automatic lapping - I set the watch to lap over every 1 mile, so it shows you your pace for each mile, which further helps you to stay on track.
  • Wireless syncing of workout data to the Garmin Connect web site, with immediate access to your workout data, including an automatically generated Google Map (see below for a screen shot of one of my workouts, or go here to see it online)
  • Desktop client (Garmin Training Center) allows you to program advanced workouts (like interval runs, etc.) and send it wireless to the watch.  During workouts, the watch then keeps you on track and on pace through audible beeps and succinct screen messaging.
  • Inconspicuous enough so that you can wear it as a regular watch all day.

Sample workout - click to view online: 

The bad

I don't have a lot of bad things to say about this watch, but in the interest of trying to stay objective...

  • The GPS can take up to 5 minutes to acquire satellites. This is not a problem if you always start your runs at the same place, because it remembers where you were and locks in pretty quickly if your position hasn't changed.  But I sometimes run from home and sometimes from work, and then it can take a while.  But once the satellites are locked, it stays locked - no dropouts, even when running on underpasses or next to tall building.
  • Instantaneous pace information not  100% accurate.  You'll see, for example, in the workout above that it says my maximum pace was 2:57 min/mile.  No, I am not a superhero.  There are some kinks with that data, so I switched my display to show average pace instead, which is very accurate.
  • Battery life is not fantastic - the watch lasts about a week if you work out 4-5 days a week.  But it's easy to extend battery life by turning off the GPS when you're not working out, and turning off the backlight.  You can also lock the bezel, but I rarely do that because in "time" mode the watch goes into powersave after a few seconds which locks the bezel automatically.

The myths!

I read quite a few reviews before buying the watch, and I was skeptical because of some negative reviews I read.  Don't believe them!  Here are some common myths...

  • It's too difficult to use.  Simply not true.  This is complicated technology, and you can't expect to just walk up and use it like an ATM.  My simple advice is this: spend 30 minutes reading the manual, 30 minutes familiarizing yourself with all the features, and after that you'll never be confused again.  This watch has a great, simple, elegant design, and the menu structure makes perfect sense.  But you'll have to do a little upfront work.
  • The bezel is too sensitive.  You can set bezel sensitivity - mine is set at "medium" and I have no problems.
  • It's too big.  Maybe for women with small wrists, but I wear it every day and I hardly notice it.
  • The online software is too hard to use.  I really haven't had any problems at all.  If you install the software and USB stick it uses to sync wirelessly correctly (i.e., follow the instructions!), you should have no problems.  They also just did a major redesign of the Garmin Connect site, so it's easier than ever!

The bottom line

This watch reinvigorated my workouts, and is keeping me on track for my half-marathon training and my push for a PR in that race.  I can't imagine a better training partner to help me improve my running.  Seriously, you should get it. 

You can buy it from Amazon without the heart rate monitor here, and with the heart rate monitor here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ek het altyd geweet jy is goed, maar mooit gedink jy kan op water harloop nie? ;-)

Ek het my connection issues uitgesort, maar joune lyk so cool ek dink ek sal moet upgrade!

Unknown said...

What I think would be cool, is if it keeps track of where you go, and at what time you are at each place, you might be able to use that data to get-tag photographs.

All you would have to do is keep the watch on while out shooting.

Do you know if this would be possible?

Unknown said...

That would be cool yes - but I don't think it's currently possible. There's no way in the online portal to see what your time was at each point on the route. Good idea though...